Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Limit Winter Mold Growth in your Home
Don't try and fix mold problems yourself, call a professional
Cold and wet winter months and the ever-changing winter weather can create the perfect atmosphere for mold to grow. When water from rain, sleet and snow during the winter months gets tracked inside, the increased moisture can create more humid conditions inside your home, allowing mold to grow more quickly. Luckily, there are a few easy ways you can do to reduce and control mold growth in your home.
Tips to Control Mold Growth in Winter
- Keep indoor humidity below 45%. According to the EPA, the best way to control indoor mold growth is to carefully monitor and maintain your home's moisture level. If the humidity in your home rises, address the problem as soon as possible. Use a dehumidifier to lower the moisture level when needed.
- Set ceiling fans in reverse. Your fans should turn counterclockwise in the summer and clockwise in the winter. If you set your ceiling fans to turn clockwise during chilly winter months, you will pull cold air up and draw the warmer air downward, which can both save you money on energy bills and keep your home a bit warmer. Good air circulation will also keep condensation from building up on cold walls and windows, where it can be a potential source of mold growth.
- Use exhaust fans. In the bathroom, kitchen and other areas of the home that frequently have more moisture. Good air circulation can help ensure that moisture doesn't have a chance to sit and promote mold growth.
- Clean and repair roof gutters. Regular cleaning removes build-up of lead leaves and debris which will help prevent ice dams that can lead to mold growth in your attic and on your ceilings.
Call a professional
If you can't readily see a moisture problem but you find traces of mold growing in your home, it may be time to seek professional help. Here at SERVPRO of Libertyville/North Chicago City/Lake Bluff our technicians have the training, experience and equipment to re-mediate mold safely and effectively so your home can become your personal safe haven again.
Call Us Today 847-557-1080
Contaminated water that has entered your home or business is classified in the restoration industry as Category 3 contaminated water. Category 3 water invades with more than just water, but also bacterial contaminants. Bacteria are everywhere and makes up most of Earth’s mass. Bacteria can multiply at an alarming rate. The smell that comes with a water intrusion isn’t just from mold growth, but also that of bacteria present. The toilet that has overflowed, stagnant water, the fish tank that has broken, all these examples have significant amounts of bacteria with them. When you have Category 3 water that contaminates your home or business it is important to have a professional inspect, and remediate properly.
SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago/Lake Bluff are certified to clean a variety of unwanted contaminates such as:
- Mold mitigation and remediation
- Bacteria from stagnant sources
- Sewage Clean Up from sewer back flows
- Outside water intrusions
- Water that has affected a home while away on a vacation
Odor After Water Damage
Why is there an odor in a home that has experienced water damage? The odors come from wet carpeting, padding, drywall, insulation, cabinets, or contents in the home. The odor is there because of microbial growth (mold) and this smell is from a process referred to as Microbial Volatile Organic Compounds or MVOCs. This is the microorganism’s metabolism or rather the ability of mold to begin rapidly multiplying in the wet environment. Molds can be found anywhere inside structures and outside. Mold is crucial outdoors to help decay trees that have fallen or other material turning it back into soil for regrowth. Mold does not distinguish if it’s outdoors and indoors, so this same process will occur on drywall and wooded studs inside a home! SERVPRO of Libertyville/North Chicago City/Lake Bluff is a certified cleaning and restoration firm in mold mitigation and remediation. Each structure that has mold is approached differently depending on the source of water, what type of material mold is growing on, and how much.
Flooding, Storms, and Mold
After a disaster or storm when a significant amount of homes and businesses have been affected many people have concerns and questions about mold indoors. Any material that is wet must get dried quickly. Mold growth can occur within 48-72 hours in a damp, high humidity environment. With a water loss from a Category Three contamination, some material may need to be discarded. Water from a flood that comes in a home is filled with contaminants, pesticides, animal droppings, fuel, and silt. With water intrusion in the home, the relative humidity temperature indoors can raise giving mold the perfect climate to grow. Our SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago/Lake Bluff technicians are Institute of Inspection and Cleaning Restoration trained to remove water and decrease the relative humidity in your home after water infiltration. If mold is visible, there are different methods of removal based on the material that mold resides. At the job completion, SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago/Lake Bluff also uses an antimicrobial solution to assure that no mold spores will grow in the present mitigation project.
Lake Forest Residents: Need to remove mold?
Water intrusion from a roof leak?
Water line leaking from refrigerator?
Water in basement?
If you have one of these problems, you may also have concerns about mold growing in your home from the water intrusion. Mold can have serious health effects and also cause serious damage to your home. Every mold situation is different, and can be handled many different ways. SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff have the trained technicians, protective gear, and specialized equipment to handle your mold problem.
When you call SERVPRO, an experienced technician will carefully inspect your property with specialized technology used for detecting hidden water sources where mold would be able to grow. Mold feeds off water and cellulose and grows in these undetected environments.
Prior to beginning the mold removal, various containments will be set up to prevent the spread of the mold spores throughout your home and isolate the contaminated area. We do this with negative air pressure and with physical barriers. In addition, we place specialized air filtration equipment that will capture the microscopic mold spores that are floating in the air. These air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums prevent the spread of mold during the remediation process.
Depending on the amount of mold growth and the type of surfaces affected will determine how our technicians will approach the remediation job. Some surfaces may have to be removed and disposed of that are mold-infested. These are high-porous surfaces such as drywall and flooring. In addition, antifungal and antimicrobial treatments will be applied to help prevent new colonies from forming. Our SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff technicians can also clean mold damaged contents. In addition, technicians are trained and able to remove odors and do deodorization using our fogging equipment.
Any other questions regarding mold or to schedule an appointment, call us at 847-557-1080.
Lake Villa Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
· Stay out of affected areas.
· Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
· Contact SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
· Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
· Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
· Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
· Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 847-557-1080
Does Your Waukegan Home Have A Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
· Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
· Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
· Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
· Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
· Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
· Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 847-557-1080
Finding Mold in your Home
Fungi and Mold spores are everywhere and naturally occur in our environment. Fungi and mold can be found in breads, baked goods, alcoholic beverages, mushrooms, and even penicillin. The use of these molds are ordinary occurrences and can produce fantastic results. Health concerns can arise when mold begins to grow indoors. Once there is the intrusion of water in your home or place of business this creates an environment conducive for unhealthy microbial growth. The spores can multiply and grow feeding off the organic materials that are found in high humidity level environments. This is why it is so important to have a professional handle drying a structure following water intrusion. Some warning signs following an ongoing moisture problem:
- The presence of visible mold
- Strong odors which may indicate mold is present
- Any evidence of past water intrusion problems that might indicate previous mold growth
- Excessive Humidity
Call SERVPRO® of Gurnee and SERVPRO® of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff for a quote on our mold testing available: air test, tape test, or swab test and/or a quote for inspection/remediation.