Vernon Hills Residents: Is Your Property Ready for Winter?
Cold weather is approaching, and it’s important to prepare your home or business for the winter months. Freezing temperatures can cause frozen pipes. Heavy rains with improper drainage can force water back into your home or business. Snow and ice sitting on top of full gutters can force water into your attic as the sun and temperature fluctuations cause the snow and ice to melt. Here are some proactive measures to prepare your home or business for the winter:
- Inspect your roof, gutters, and downspouts. It’s a good idea to check your roof after every storm or heavy rain event. If you haven’t done that yet, now is the time to inspect for any roof damage or potential hazards that can keep standing water on your roof. Avoid ice damming this winter by cleaning your gutters from leaves and other debris. Also, double check that your downspout is directed away from your building or home to avoid water being forced at your home or business.
- Walk your property to look for any obstacles that could cause personal injury such as fallen branches. While you are walking the exterior of your residence or business also check for proper drainage.
- Disconnect your garden hose and store away this winter to avoid freezing your hose bib (or sillcock). This will help avoid a flooded basement this coming spring when you go to use your hose for the first time.
- Install mats or non-slip surfaces to avoid slips this winter.
- If you own a home or business, let SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/Lake Bluff set up your building with a no cost assessment called an Emergency Ready Profile. This provides your business with a plan to get back in operation should disaster occur.
When winter weather arrives, SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/Lake Bluff wants you to be prepared. If the unexpected frozen pipe, ice damming, or water in your basement happens to your Vernon Hills home or business, call us 24/7 365 days a year at 847-557-1080.
Gurnee Residents: Fire Prevention
This year’s Fire Prevention Theme is “Every Second Counts: Plan 2 ways out!” The National Fire Protection Association encourages families with their children to:
- Make a map of their home and find two exits from each room.
- Make sure exits are not blocked
- Have a meeting spot in the front of the home to meet if home experiences a fire
- Practice a fire drill at least twice a year. They also suggest doing one drill during the day and one at night.
- Make sure to teach children how they can escape on their own in case someone can’t help.
- Close any windows or doors that you leave to try to slow smoke, fire, or heat.
- Make sure address is clearly visible from front of structure and everyone knows how to call the fire department for help
- Test smoke alarms once a month, and change batteries twice a year.
For great resources, and a grid to draw a map of your home go to National Fire Protection Association’s website here.
For tips on what to do after a fire or have any questions, call SERVPRO of Gurnee or SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff at 847-557-1080, 24/7 365 days.
Lake Forest Residents: Need to remove mold?
Water intrusion from a roof leak?
Water line leaking from refrigerator?
Water in basement?
If you have one of these problems, you may also have concerns about mold growing in your home from the water intrusion. Mold can have serious health effects and also cause serious damage to your home. Every mold situation is different, and can be handled many different ways. SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff have the trained technicians, protective gear, and specialized equipment to handle your mold problem.
When you call SERVPRO, an experienced technician will carefully inspect your property with specialized technology used for detecting hidden water sources where mold would be able to grow. Mold feeds off water and cellulose and grows in these undetected environments.
Prior to beginning the mold removal, various containments will be set up to prevent the spread of the mold spores throughout your home and isolate the contaminated area. We do this with negative air pressure and with physical barriers. In addition, we place specialized air filtration equipment that will capture the microscopic mold spores that are floating in the air. These air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums prevent the spread of mold during the remediation process.
Depending on the amount of mold growth and the type of surfaces affected will determine how our technicians will approach the remediation job. Some surfaces may have to be removed and disposed of that are mold-infested. These are high-porous surfaces such as drywall and flooring. In addition, antifungal and antimicrobial treatments will be applied to help prevent new colonies from forming. Our SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff technicians can also clean mold damaged contents. In addition, technicians are trained and able to remove odors and do deodorization using our fogging equipment.
Any other questions regarding mold or to schedule an appointment, call us at 847-557-1080.
Healthcare Certified Cleaning in Lake County, IL
SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff is proud to announce our recent accreditation with the Linders Health Institute Critical Facilities Healthcare - CFHC.
This training further educated our technicians on infection control risk management in healthcare mitigation and remediation projects. Healthcare facilities need to keep their patients, staff, workers, visitors, and caregivers safe during construction projects. This is why they have strict requirements of contractors coming into work on their facilities. SERVPRO understands healthcare facilities commitment to their occupants and completed the proper certification program to adhere to safety, compliance, and limit airborne exposure risks.
If your healthcare facility experiences water intrusion, fire, mold, or is in need of air duct cleaning, biological matter cleaning, or general cleaning contact SERVPRO of Gurnee & SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff 24/7 at 847-557-1080.
Catastrophic Storm Cleaning in Lake County, IL
Hurricane Sandy, Hurricane Matthew, Hurricane Harvey, and Hurricane Irma are catastrophic storm events where SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff have sent crews, vehicles, and equipment to help homeowners and business owners get back in their homes and businesses. SERVPRO has over 1700 franchises all over the United States, and many of these franchises have teams that are ready to respond to catastrophic storm events helping businesses and homeowners after a severe storm.
This summer we requested SERVPRO catastrophic storm teams to help with our recent storms and flooding on July 12th, 2017 due to the high volume of calls. We received crews from California, Rhode Island, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, among other states. When you call SERVPRO during a catastrophic storm event, you are able to receive a team of technicians that are background checked, completed SERVPRO’s several Employee Certification Training Programs, follows and adheres to the ANSI/IICRC S500 Water Restoration Reference Guide, works directly with your insurance, takes photos before, throughout, and after job completion, and are professionally certified with the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification.
Emergency Supply Checklist from FEMA
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Whistle to signal for help
- Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
- Local maps
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water for your pet
- Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change
- Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from ready.gov
- Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Complete change of clothing including a long-sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
- Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
- Fire Extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
- Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
Lightning Facts and Tips
SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff will board up your home or business, clean contents, clean structure, and rebuild if your building is struck by lightning and incurs fire damage. The odds of being struck by lightning is 1 in 500,000 and is the leading cause of weather-related fatalities. Here are some tips and facts about lightning from the CDC:
- Check the forecast before planning outdoor activities. If the weather is calling for outdoor thunderstorms, postpone your trip or activity, or make sure there is adequate shelter available.
- “When thunder roars, go indoors.” Go indoors or find a safe enclosed shelter when you hear thunder. Some ideas of safe shelters are offices, homes, shopping centers, or hard-top vehicles (with the windows rolled up).
- Avoid windows, doors, porches, and concrete. Do not lie on concrete floors and avoid leaning against concrete walls. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
- Avoid water during a thunderstorm by not bathing, showering, washing dishes, or any other contact with water because lightning can travel through a building’s plumbing.
- Avoid electronic equipment that is connected to an electrical outlet. Lightning can travel through any metal wires or bars in concrete walls.
- Make sure to equip homes and businesses with surge protectors to protect appliances and other electronic devices.
- If you are outdoors and there is not shelter, do not lie down. Instead, crouch close to the ground touching the ground as little as possible. If you are in a group, make sure to separate.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –847-557-1080
Are your Air Ducts Clean?
Did you know that your ventilation system determines your indoor air quality? Dirty ducts can circulate contaminates such as mold or irritating dust as well as unwanted odors throughout your home or business. SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/ N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff is a professional service that will inspect and clean your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC). How does our SERVPRO Duct Cleaning System work?
- First, our patented equipment automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth prior to beginning vacuuming.
- Next, is a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system that will transfer the debris from the duct to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of the particles in the airstream. These HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- Part of an optional process, a sealant or coating may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- In addition, filters will need to be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information or to schedule a residential or commercial duct cleaning appointment, contact us at 847-557-1080.
SERVPRO Community Service: Contingency Planning for Businesses
50% of all businesses that experience a disaster do not reopen. Of the 50% that do reopen 70% of them have a plan in place. Many businesses have a plan on how to get out of the building in a fire or how to help someone who is injured, but not many businesses have a plan on protecting the merchandise or how to get back in operation should a disaster occur. Let SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/ Lake Bluff set your business up with a contingency plan! SERVPRO will go out to your business, at no charge, and create a profile locating all your important utilities and shutoffs with directions and photographs. Why do we do this for free? Disasters happen, and SERVPRO believes in businesses being prepared to help minimize the amount of work that needs to be done, and be certain the business and employees can return to operation as quickly as possible.
The SERVPRO® Ready Plan comes accessible as an App and is an emergency preparedness tool for home and business owners, property managers, risk managers and facility management. It allows for the creation of an Emergency Ready Profile containing critical facility information to help speed up response time. In addition, the profile has a space for all significant contacts that your business may need to contact in an emergency, such as: plumber, elevator repair, electric company, sprinkler company, etc. Each profile is tailored to each business needs, and can be as detailed as you want. Multiple properties are all linked together in one profile sign in for quick access. In return you will receive a secure sign on for electronic access online and through the app with editing capabilities, Emergency Ready Profile Folder to keep in your office, electronic damage log reports, and peace of mind knowing that you have a plan in case disaster occurs.
Want to learn more or schedule an appointment? Contact Ariel Flary at 847-557-1080 or aflary@SERVPROlibertyville.com.
Tips for Water Damage
Here are some tips for clean water and contaminated water before help arrives.
- Shut off water source if possible.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electric shock hazards may exist.
- Turn off circuit breakers for those areas that are wet if access is safe from potential electric shock.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting in rooms without standing water.
- Protect carpet from staining by placing foil, plastic wrap beneath furniture legs.
- Remove cushions and prop to allow for even drying.
- Move paintings, documents, or other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or any other colored item on the floor as these items may cause staining.
- Do not use a household vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures (if ceiling is wet).
- Do not enter rooms where ceiling is sagging from retained water.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system because there is a possibility to spread contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure because the air flow could cause contaminates to spread.
- Throw away any food and/or products for personal hygiene if exposed to the contaminated area.
Call SERVPRO of Gurnee and SERVPRO of Libertyville/N. Chicago City/Lake Bluff at 847-557-1080 for an inspection for your water damage.